I think that in the Bible, there are two major ways that we see glory function. I will reference the New Testament books of the Gospel of John and Revelation to explore this. They correspond to Being and Doing. (1) Glory As Emergent (Doing): In the Gospel of John, Jesus or God is described as being glorified or as showing His glory when he performs a miracle such as turning the water to wine (John 2:11) or raising Lazarus from the dead. "This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God's glory so that God's Son may be glorified through it" (John 11:4). *Note: In philosophy, happiness is often described as being a byproduct of some action taken. That is to say, you do something and happiness results. It emerges. Glory is also a byproduct of action. It is a result of doing. (Happiness is not something you pursue. Rather you live virtuously and happiness results as a byproduct. Likewise, glory is not something you pursue but rather you pursue living life accordin...
ME> Let me qualify that bit. I said earlier that I conceive of redemption as a movement from a bad place to a good place. I think I could also say instead of place, I can use the word state. Redemption is a movement from a bad state, like a state of affairs or state of being. It's a movement from a bad state to a good state. Now the key is this. Nobody originally is in a bad state. Life doesn't start off in a bad state. Something has to happen for us to wind up being in that bad state. So when we move from a bad state to a good state, the good state is either the former state we were in before we were in the bad state, or it's a completely newer and even better good state than the prior good state. Do you see what I'm saying? So in effect, what I'm saying is redemption involves a move from a good state to a bad state, and then either going back to the good state or to a newer, even better good state. I hope that wasn't confusing. Hence we say buy back and ...
Comments
Post a Comment